Saturday, March 26, 2011

Reoccurring story in the news...

Today when I was about to get started on my research paper, I became distracted and of course logged onto Facebook first. While there, I stumbled across a story through a page I am subscribed to about the Macedonian issue.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hHwdATCnuOr-rLsAEiYO-3oxSM_w?docId=6350311

After reading the article, it discussed the story I mentioned earlier. The country of F.Y.R.O.M is taking Greece to U.N. courts because of Greece's veto of FYROM into NATO. The previous story discussed the Macedonian side of the issue and this one brought in the newly released Greek side of the issue. One aspect of the article I found to be very interesting was the tid-bit about land takeover with time. One portion of the article states, "[The name Macedonia for FYROM] implies that at some point of the future they will have to be attached to that country". This quote and the concept behind it is interesting. It is a dynamic of the argument that I have not yet seen. Prior to this article, all the information about the land argument was simply, 'the name Macedonia implies land claims'; nothing has ever went into detail about it really. Overall this article was interesting and now I might try to find some scholarly work to back up the statements here for incorporation into my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment